This 7 month old labrador-poodle mix presented with a one day history of biting at his backend, and I admitted him for sedation and clean-up procedure.
Because he was so painful and reacted when anything touched the hair around the area, I had to give him 0.5ml medetomidine and 0.2ml butorphanol (the maximum dose for his weight) to even get the clippers near this skin. As we clipped him, I noticed matts all over his body, and found more hotspots forming under some of these matts; under his chin, on his arms, ears, etc.
I cleaned all the hotspots up with dilute chlorhexidine solution, administered an injection of dexamethasone, sent him home with two weeks of antibiotics plus an E-collar, and instructions to book a recheck appointment in three days time.
On recheck appointment, this wound was still quite inflamed, but the dog would allow us to touch him without too much reaction, so I sent the owner home on some topical creams with the hope that this would push the owner to pay extra attention to their pet’s skin. Unfortunately, at this point, the owner had already run out of patience, or ability to understand the severity of the condition, so I am unlikely to see this patient at the 2 week recheck appointment.
Seriously, this was heartbreaking for me. He is such a sweet dog, but this wound did *not* pop up overnight. People shouldn’t own long-haired dogs if they aren’t committed to daily grooming, or even at least regular clips!
Male dogs are more frequently infected [by heartworms] than female dogs (4:1)
— common Diseases of Companion Animals by Alleice Summers
PLEASE PASS THIS ON!
I want to make sure every one knows about this and what it can do to your pets
this is what has happened to my sisters cat after she wore a hartz flea and tick collar and now has a burn like wound on her neck. please pass this on and do not buy hartz’s products! they use poison in their products pets have died because of this!!
Yes this is my cat she is doing fine at the moment but I’m so sorry for the people who’s pets are not so lucky
oh my god
PLEASE REBLOG THIS PEOPLE
(( signal boost because if anything like this happened to snickers i would burst out in tears ))
HARTZ is a horrible horrible horrible company. They are well aware that many of their products contain dangerous chemicals, but they just keep “reformulating” their products and putting them back out on the market with often disastrous consequences for our pets. Their liquid flea preventative droppers even contain chemicals KNOWN TO CAUSE SEIZURES IN ANIMALS, and they have kept them on the market for at least as long as I can remember. Working in veterinary hospitals since I was 16, I have personally witnessed at least 10 or so cases of pet death or permanent neural damage due to HARTZ products. Pass this on, please! This shit is evil.
If you see this logo in a pet store or grocery store, RUN THE FUCK THE OTHER WAY:
It would be nice to see this have 10 million reblogs or more.
whenever someone says certain dog breeds should be banned i want to lean over uncomfortably close to them and whisper ‘you’re advocating condemning thousands of innocent peaceful wonderful animals to a needless death not to mention taking away pets people love and care for because of a few shitty owners who bought/adopted animals they couldnt train or control’